Ultratron is a classic arcade style flying shooter game developed by Puppygames and is available on PC and Mac through Steam for $10.99.
The game takes place in a rectangular space where enemy robots spawn in and around the area. Your goal is to weave and dodge through lasers and bullets of doom while trying to kill them and pick up the cash they drop on the ground. Cash can be used to buy upgrades and pets. If Senpai is used to play flying and space shooter games at the arcade then you will probably like this.
Controls and Gameplay:
Movement is controlled through WASD and you either use the arrow keys or click and hold the left mouse button to shoot. Random bullet upgrades can be obtained by picking up giant gold looking coins, similar to the old school style.
As I mentioned, upgrades can be bought through the cash store that pops up after every level. It is quite expensive to buy some of the upgrades. Shields can take one hit and once depleted, you are at risk of dying and the ominous game over screen pops up. However, shields are relatively cheap.
There are random fruits that fly around the map and picking them up will net you a great deal of points but its rate of movement is fast and catching it may be difficult.
Like all space and flying shooter games, the amount of stuff that you have to dodge is bloody insane. As a child, I had no problem weaving through the bullets and timing my movements correctly to avoid lasers but I am not sure if it is my age (it’s not) or the mind numbing electronic music that makes it more difficult. I am not too fond of the neon colors either. I personally had to stop after 30 minutes.
- Classic space and flying shooter game that stays true to the style and reminds me of some nostalgic memories
- The satisfying bullet upgrades are awesome. The “MUAHAH DIE MOFOS PEW PEW” reaction is real.
- The futuristic robotic voice and electronic music makes the atmosphere pretty fun.
- Having to run to the spot where the enemy died to pick up the cash drop is not fun. Maybe I’m just lazy but
it’s frustrating when I have to dodge crap and by the time I reach it, the cash its gone. At least leave the cash there for a longer period of time. This is especially difficult when you need the money to upgrade at low level but you can’t because you couldn’t pick up the cash in time. There is a ‘pet’ upgrade that picks it up for you but even then it will only pick things up within a certain radius.
- Neon colours were too much for me. Having to tunnel vision on neon colours sort of hurt my eyes but it does add to the futuristic theme of the game.
- I did not like the fact that I had to click and hold down the mouse button to shoot. This was one element that they did not include from the classic flying and shooting style. My finger was getting tired after level 20.
Overall, there are both good and bad points to this game. It is receiving very high positive reviews on steam but my feelings towards the game is not as good. I think it is worth trying out but there are definitely improvements that can be made in this game.
Let me know what you think Senpai~